May 22, 2014

Eats: Caracol

Caracol opened in mid-December by the same chef behind Hugo's restaurant. It intrigued me since its focus is on Mexican coastal cuisine as oppose to regional Mexican cuisine that of Hugo's.

At first, it was a little confusing to find. My iPhone map kept directing me to Arcodoro/ Canyon Cafe shopping center when in fact, it's located on the ground floor of the new BBVA Compass building. I had limited time so when I arrived, I just valet parked my car. I read you can self park in the visitor parking garage, just bring the ticket with you so the staff could validate it.

Since I wasn't sure how packed they were for lunch, I called ahead of time to see if reservations was needed. The hostess said, no. Sure enough, my mom and I were seated immediately when we arrived. After placing our order, our waitress brought out an amuse bouche of shrimp soup that was really good - had a little kick to it. This turned out to be the second highlight of our meal.

Since it was just the two of us, to try as many dishes as we could, we opted for the 2 for $22 lunch special and ordered one dish from the regular menu. This also allowed us some room for dessert. Overall, their food was good, some dishes were better than others. Of the three that we ordered, we definitely liked the ceviche the most. I probably would've liked the pulpo (octopus) had I tasted it first but, having had the ceviche, the flavors from that overpowered the pulpo.

For lunch, their service was a little slow. At the rate they were going, I wasn't sure if we were going to have time for dessert but, I was determined to have some so, we ordered one before we were even done with our meal. I'm glad we did because their churros is so deliciously addictive! It was definitely the highlight of our meal.

Amuse bouche
shrimp soup

Ceviche de Caracol
conch, pineapple, ginger, jalapeno

Ensalada de Pulpo
grilled octopus salad, roasted potato, carrot, celery leaves, pumpkin seed dressing

"Texas T Kobe" Carne Apache
Kobe tri-tip, jicama, corn, squash, avocado-tomatillo salsa

Pineapple marmalade stuffed churros served with rum raisin ice cream

Caracol
2200 Post Oak Blvd, Suite 160
Houston, TX 

No comments:

Post a Comment