May 10, 2013

Ramen in Common - Tasting Event at Soma Sushi

I'm glad I had the opportunity to attend last Wednesday night's ramen tasting event at Soma Sushi. It was organized by Carl Rosa, the man behind The Sushi Club of Houston, who is on a new mission to educate Houstonians about ramen through a new group he founded, Ramen in Common. This event was number 2 of 3, the first one held a week ago at the same location. I like being number 2 in this case, because Soma made some adjustments based on feedback it received from the first attendees. This was my first time attending one of Carl's events and as I expected, it was very well organized.

We got to sample 3 different ramens that Chef Gabriel Medina specially prepared for us. I'm no food critic nor am I a ramen connoisseur so all I'm going to say is, they were all delicious! Personally, I liked the seafood ramen the best. I'm typically not a fan of seafood noodle soups but, this one won me over. While tasty, I found the other two broths bit salty for my palate.

Before the tasting commenced, Chef Medina made it a point that the ramens he prepared were by no means traditional, rather his creative interpretation of it. I just enjoyed this event because I got to taste 3 very different kinds of ramen in one seating. Events like this makes me hopeful that one day Houston could potentially have a true ramen shop.

This tasting was $30 inclusive of tax and tip. If you would like more information about this group, visit their website or join their Facebook group.

Menu

Chef's Trash Plate - pork rind, red grapes, garlic tempura, pickled apples

Kaisen Seafood Ramen

Black Bean Ramen

Yuzu Sorbet

Texas Ramen

Yuzu Cheesecake

No comments:

Post a Comment